About Gibson Mill
100 years ago, Gibson Mill looked completely different. Back then, it was Gibson Manufacturing Company. Established in 1899 when R.E. Gibson partnered with local industrialist James Cannon, Gibson Mill was Plant No. 6 for the Cannon Mills Company.
Through the early 20th century, the space hummed and pulsed with over 31,000 sewing spindles. Mill workers manufactured vibrantly-colored yarns, gingham and madras fabric as well as dress goods before making towels and sheets from the 1930s through the 1980s. Gibson Mill thrived for decades.
When the mill closed in 2003, it wasn’t the end of the story. One year later, some local friends purchased the property together and reopened it for retail, office and warehouse space.
Today, Gibson Mill hums and pulses again. This time, with a fresh, fun energy. It’s a new vibe that respects our past and our present – with a strong emphasis on environmental consciousness as one of the region’s largest adaptive reuse projects.
Most importantly, Gibson Mill serves as a community-driven gathering spot with a locally sourced food hall (coming 2021), craft breweries, retail, office space, and more.
This is Gibson Mill. Modern innovation built by a legacy of opportunity and community.